Sunday, November 1, 2009

Back at it

New season and a new resolution to blog. I'm hopeful that I can gain some good momentum and keep it through 80 more games.

As this Timberwolves season is in its infant stages, I am intrigued. I wasn't initially thrilled with the hiring of David Kahn as Wolves GM, but as he got to work -- and reworked the lineup in the process -- I became more excited.

The good:

- I love Jonny Flynn. I think he is going to be very, very good. I like that he plays his ass off. I like that he is cool with being in Minneapolis. I like the big smile.

- I like getting rid of Randy Foye. I did like Randy Foye when he was a Wolf, but I never saw him really fitting in here. He can't play the point. He has a hard time guarding the better 2s in the league. He's a much better fit in DC where he can come off of the bench and not have the responsibilities of playing 30-plus minutes. I hope he plays well for Flip -- and he has so far -- but he wasn't going to help the Wolves in the long term.

- Rambis. I like the hire. I like a guy who was worked for a winner. I like that he's not a screamer who guys will turn out. I like that he's pretty chill, but with a mean streak. And somewhere deep inside of me, I like that he knocked McHale on his ass back in the day.

The bad:

- Loved the Rubio pick at the beginning, but I don't think he will ever play for the Wolves. Obviously he could be a nice piece to deal, but he was the one guy I was most excited about in this draft class. This certainly isn't the biggest deal breaker, but kind of a bummer.

- This team needs some luck in the health department. Love is out for at least a month. Al is limited now. It would be wonderful for things to get better from here. The Wolves clearly need a season of better-than-average health if for no other reason than to see what they've got. Can Corey Brewer be a player in this league? How will Al and KLove play together?

- The biggest bummer is that this team is still going to lose a lot of games. And I mean A LOT of games. If the loss total is less than 55, it will be a really good season for the Wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment