Thursday, November 12, 2009

Game 9: Do I need to revise my expectations?

I don't think my initial expectations were unreasonable for this Timberwolves team. I was quite certain this team had no chance at making the playoffs. I didn't even think they would get to 30 wins. But I did think they would be improved over a year ago.

I know that KLove is going to be coming back and that Al still has work to do. But I guess I didn't expect a team that really wasn't going to be competitive on many nights.

I thought 25 wins was very realistic. I thought something close to 30 was possible if things went well.

I didn't watch as much of last night's loss to Portland as I wanted to. I watched the first half at home, but then went out for a little while last night and the bar didn't have the game on. By the time I got to the bar, I saw on Twitter that the Blazers were pulling away and it didn't really matter.

So as the Wolves prepare for Friday night's game against Dallas, they sit here at 1-8. They are tied for the fewest victories in the West. And if it wasn't for the the hella comeback on opening night against New Jersey, these would be your winless Wolves.

While that is certainly bad, it is even worse when you play the what-if game. Let's just say, for fun, that the Wolves would have gotten a couple of fourth-quarter breaks in the early part of this season. They would have beat Boston. And they might have won either at Phoenix or the Clipp Joint. So there's two more wins. That's the sad thing, if you look back, the best you can say they deserve to be is 3-6.

Other than that, it has been disaster after disaster. Five of their losses have been by 15 points or more and only two have been by less than five points.

The Wolves have 10 more games this month: Dallas, at Memphis, Houston, at Portland, at Clippers, Nuggets, Phoenix, Memphis, at New Orleans and Utah.

How many of these are really winnable?

Dallas? Nope, not even at home.

The game at Memphis seems like a possibility, but the problem is that it is the second half of a back-to-back for the Wolves and the Griz have two days off before that.

Houston at home? I guess maybe if they play well.

at Portland? Considering what we've seen this month, no chance.

at Clippers? Not unrealistic at all.

Denver? Nope.

Phoenix? Not against the biggest surprise so far in the West.

Memphis? Probably the best chance for a win the rest of the month.

at New Orleans? Big Al's first return to where he got hurt. I don't love the Hornets, but they are better than the Wolves.

Utah? Surprised the Jazz have struggled the way they have. This, I suppose, is possible.

So where does that leave us? Is this team going to struggle to win 20 games? Are they going to win fewer games than the Gophers men's team?

If you haven't read Jerry Zgoda's game story from this morning in the Star Tribune, you should. It was pretty good. Loved the honest from Big Al.

No comments:

Post a Comment