Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The worst job in sports?

There are certainly bad jobs out there in the sports world. You could do the laundry of large NFL linemen. You could be one of those goofy guys with the flags at the Vikings. You could be Tiger Woods' PR guy right now.

But is there a tougher job in sports than to be someone trying to make a living by selling tickets for the Timberwolves?

These poor folks -- who can't be making all that much money -- have to try to find a way to get people to buy tickets from the team to see a team that is off the radar of way too many people in town.

Tonight the Wolves host New Orleans. I don't have corporate or vendor tickets for tonight's game. Now I realize I should probably go home after work, deal with the snow in my driveway and curl up in front of my TV to watch the game. But there is something about watching Chris Paul in person that has me at least considering another option.

It is amazing how little you can get into a game for now at the Target Center (can you really go more than about 48 hours without receiving some sort of ticket email from the team?). A quick glance at Craigslist/StubHub/eBay/Ticket King has pairs upstairs for less than $10. Downstairs tickets can be had for very little as well. I can only imagine what scalpers are getting outside. Can't be much.

This leads me to something of a moral question: Do you ever feel like you should buy from the team? That way the Wolves don't lose as much money, people might not lose jobs, the team can't use the 'we're losing money so we can't get better' card.

I am sometimes torn on that. I'm cool with buying from the team, but I need to look out for my own pocketbook as well. A cheap or free ticket that happens to end up in my lap is always a good thing and, obviously, I'm going to buy a beer or two and something to eat at the game.

Anyway, still considering ticket options. Maybe I'll see if somebody on Craigslist gets desperate by the end of the afternoon and I can grab some good seats for peanuts. Otherwise, I'm probably going blow snow and watch on TV.

And if you are someone trying to sell tickets in this market, I feel for you. I think the product isn't bad and is worth watching, but this is the biggest problem with the start of the seasons. The Wolves can no longer sell hope to the public and that is not a good thing.


1 comment:

  1. It is definitely tough making a living selling Timberwolves Tickets right now. We are selling tickets for half or less than half of what we paid for them. Thanks for the Ticket King name drop - we are a local twin cities business that has supported the Timberwolves for YEARS - during the good and the bad (-: Take Care and GO WOLVES!

    kristy@ticketking.net
    forever a loyal wolves fan

    ReplyDelete